PROGRESSIVE AUTO INSURANCE
Progressive, the nation’s third-largest auto insurance provider, offers insurance for just about anything with a motor. Progressive offers a long list of discounts and a wide range of coverages, such as rideshare insurance and coverage for pets injured in a car accident.
Accidents happen, so making sure you’re covered is important. Like most providers, Progressive offers bodily injury and property damage liability to help protect you regardless of who is at fault when something goes wrong. The company will pay for the medical bills of the other driver (and any of their passengers) and for any damages. It will even protect you in the event of a lawsuit, for your added peace of mind.
Collision coverage will protect you if you hit or are hit by another vehicle. You choose your deductible and Progressive will take care of the rest. Comprehensive coverage will protect your vehicle if something other than a collision damages it. You only pay the deductible, and they will pay the difference.
Progressive offers the usual car insurance options, as well as typical add-ons like roadside assistance and rental car coverage.
Depending on your state, you can choose between:
- Gap insurance, under which Progressive pays up to 25% above the value of your car if it’s full, to cover the balance of a loan or lease. You must purchase both comprehensive and collision coverage to purchase Progressive’s gap insurance.
- Custom Parts and Equipment Value, which pays to fix or replace the custom accessories you add to your car.
- Pet injury protection, which is included if you purchase collision coverage. Pay vet bills if your pet is injured in a car accident.
- Savings account with deductible: If you have comprehensive and collision coverage, you can opt for this program that reduces your deductible by $50 every six months that you are without claims until it reaches 0.
Rideshare insurance is available from Progressive but is not an option in all states. Typical rideshare insurance only covers the period between accepting a ride and dropping off a customer. This additional insurance extends your personal car policy as long as you have the app activated, so you’ll be covered even between trips.
Progressive offers two types of forgiveness for accidents:
- Small Accident Forgiveness: The company will not raise your premium for claims under $500.
- Major Accident Forgiveness: If you’ve been insured with Progressive for at least five years and accident-free for at least three, the company won’t increase your rate even for a major accident claim.
Snapshot is a free program that collects information about your driving habits, including speed, how much you drive, and when you drive. Progressive uses the data to adjust your insurance rates up or down the next time you renew, and you get an automatic discount for signing up (this discount is not available to policyholders in Alaska, Hawaii, or New York). The data is collected through a device that connects to your vehicle or a mobile application.