Remote administration means controlling or gaining access to any device from another location remotely. Software that enables remote administration is known as remote administration tools . Therefore, RAT gives someone access to remotely access your device while you do it physically, but from any other location. With these tools, someone else can access your files, camera and can even turn off your device. It is based on server and client technology. The server is the main computer that accesses clients using this software.
Who uses RATs?
Sometimes when our system has a fault, a technician accesses our computer remotely over the Internet and fixes the fault.
But many of these remote administration tools are used by hackers to gain access to your computer, steal important information and damage your data. Usually hackers attach malicious code with some kind of game or movie which when you download it comes to your system, and then hackers can easily access your system.
Connection via RAT
If you need to access a system remotely, the basic requirement is that both devices are connected to the Internet.
The user can connect to the host system that is in any other location using the RAT software remotely.
Hackers make this connection when you are connected to the Internet and perform some malicious tasks like adding some data, stealing data, corrupting files, turning off the device, etc.
- Manually: Legitimate RAT can be installed manually on your system, or someone who knows how to install it. While hackers have their own techniques to install RAT on your system.
- Stealth: Hackers attach these programs to a file on the Internet, such as a movie or game. When you download it, the malicious software also gets installed on your system and can be accessed.
Activities that can be performed with the remote administration tool
Hackers use RATs only for illegal activities, such as the following:
- Hackers can create, delete, rename, copy or edit any file.
- The attacker can also use RAT to execute various commands, change system settings, launch and control applications on the victim’s PC.
- Hackers can install optional software or worms.
- Hackers can control hardware, shut down or restart a computer without asking the user for permission.
- Hackers can steal passwords, login names, personal documents, and other credentials.
- Hackers can take screenshots and track a user’s activity.
- Hackers can access the victim’s system camera.
Tips on how to avoid RATs
- Be careful when using the Internet and downloading files online.
- Be careful when taking a P2P file from other users.
- Always enable your antivirus.
- Do not allow any malicious files to enter your system.
- Update your antivirus from time to time.
Main remote administration tools
- DarkComet: Dark Comet is the best RAT and a free RAT as well as the old one too. This tool has an amazing graphical user interface that makes the client control the system. It is best used on Windows and can control any Windows device seamlessly.
- BlackShades: This is the surprisingly better super RAT than DarkComet and is stable, reliable and easy to use. It is also the fastest RAT anywhere created in .net and helps Windows.
- JSpy: Jspy Rat is the same as Pussy RAT created by the same person, with some improvements and in 2013 it was free. He is a decent rat and one of the safest rats.
- NJRat: It is an amazing RAT to hack different systems. It gives us a lot of options that set it apart from others. It is very easy to use. It has the malware to use the camera, microphones to get and delete files, and many more.
- Plasma Remote Administration Tools: Plasma RAT is a capable Remote Administration Tool (RAT) which is a customer service application. It is not just a conventional standard remote administrator tool, it is designed to control a large number of PCs without a moment’s delay.
Leave a Reply